This past week, I had the fun of being a mentor for the first Rochester Start Up Weekend. Start Up Weekend is an international non profit organization that helps communities run a weekend ‘create a company’ marathon.
In 54 hours, teams work to build a company idea. By Sunday night, the teams pitch their company ideas and the winning team gets cash and prizes.
This is why I feel like I’m a 20 something trapped in a boomer body. I loved the idea of spending hours hanging around young entrepreneurs who are so excited about their ideas.
But more than that, I am excited about change. I’m excited about the revolution that’s taking place across the world– people telling their governments what they want.
I see tremendous power in the social enterprise and the way customers are telling companies what they want.
I am thrilled to see so people involved in changing the world for the better.
Here’s how I am contributing:
- teach as many people and organizations as possible about the power of social media
- teach college student where I learn more from my students than I teach them
- lead a small non-profit that helps people who live in low income communities
- speak for free for any non profit that asks me
- mentor entrepreneurs through SCORE
- support and encourage people of all ages to live life fully
- respect every person I meet for exactly who they are
I hope that I am also a loving wife, mother, in-law, sister, friend, etc. Let me know how you are making your life as fun and vital as possible. It’s great isn’t it?