These steps are based on my years of experience of doing it wrong; so I have it on excellent authority… my own happiness… that if you follow these steps … you may not be ecstatic..but you will be in a a better place.
1. Sit quietly for 5 minutes a day
2. Stop whining (you live in the wealthiest country in the world)
3. Stop gossiping (including judging other in our own minds or out loud)
4. Be grateful (write down 5 things you’re grateful for 2x a day, no repeats for 30 days)
5. Learn new stuff – especially stuff that is hard
6. Find someone to help (outside your family)
7. Shut up and listen (for a change)
8. Exercise your body and willpower daily
9. Walk tall, smile, be gracious
10. Be grateful — this is really the key to everything.
At the most difficult time of my life, I kept a gratitude diary. Once a day I wrote down 5 things I was grateful for…and I couldn’t repeat anything. After 3 months I had incorporated gratitude into my daily thinking. That was nearly 20 years ago and I still reflect on all my gifts everyday.
Those tremendously sad years gave me the one thing I needed most – a way to enjoy every day – no matter what is happening around me. The idea and accompanying serenity are yours for the taking.
Photo credit: Partners in Community Development